TASK I – A SUMMARY ON THE NEEDS AND EXPECTATIONS OF CONCORDIA HEALTHCARE LTD. RELATIVE TO:
I. Internal Organizational needs
First and foremost, ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. Requires that the staff, partners, members, directors will consider and respect the Equality and Diversity Guidance and Policy. This organization is committed to delivering quality health care services to the clients without prejudice on them due to race, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religious affiliation, marital status, employment status and political opinion and characteristics.
If you need assistance with writing your nursing case study, our professional nursing case study writing service is here to help!Find out more
All clients should be treated equally and fairly. Professionalism on the part of the staff, partners, members and directors should be observed. No client should be discriminated; instead, promotion and accessibility of health care services should always be the ultimate mission of everyone. Quality healthcare services will result to the increasing demand by diverse clients. The ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. will be sought by the community and the clients they serve. A good name will be established for and in behalf of ABC Concordia Healthcare LTD.
II. External Needs of ABC Concordia Healthcare LTD.
To achieve the goal of this organization, that is the promotion of equal opportunity and accessibility of quality healthcare services to all clients, they are also considering their external needs.
A. Meeting clients’ needs
Appropriate steps must be considered to be able to meet the diverse needs of clients.
1. Identify the needs of clients who come from different communities.
Clients come from different communities with different cultural background and upbringing. So, they also have different needs. These needs have to be catered well.
2. Formulate the policies and procedures that will be undertaken to meet clients’ needs.
Policies should be done regularly because these are guides for decision making. Policies encourage coordination and integration of actions and plans within and across functional areas of an organization. The policy making process involves the following:
a. Identifying the problem
b. Formulating the policy
c. Implementing the policy
d. Evaluating the results
3. Specify the services that should be provided to the following group of clients:
a. Clients with a disability
b. Clients who are unable to communicate effectively in English
c. Carers, children and the elderly
d. Members of religious groups
e. ethnic groups, nationalities
f. Lesbian, gay or transgender people
B. Communication Plan
To avoid miscommunication, the ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. also provides the following:
1. A Communication Plan is prepared to disseminate the policies and procedures to ensure that all services are provided to the clients.
2. Steps to be followed and the requirements to be accomplished are also given to access the healthcare services
3. Orientation and training for the employees, members, partners, staff, and directors are done for effective implementation of the plan.
FAIRNESS AND JUSTICE
A just and fair treatment can be the strongest asset in any organization especially if there is competition. ABC Concordia Healthcare LTD. has laid some policies with emphasis on the following:
a. Dealings with third parties – this organization does not unlawfully discriminate other Healthcare service providers.
b. Dealings with contractors- ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. engages contractors on the basis of their skills, experience and ability. There is no discrimination whatsoever based on age, gender, marital status, race, religion, etc.
c. Employment – Job applicants are treated equally and fairly. Recruitment and selection procedures and terms and conditions of employment, training opportunities, promotion and transfer, grievance and disciplinary process, demotions, dress code, bonus schemes, work allocations and other employment related activities are carefully relayed to employees and applicants.
d. Recruitment and Selection- ABC Concordia Healthcare LTD ensures that the workforce is:
- Taken from the widest pool of qualified applicants . Job openings are open to all. Effort is directed towards the dissemination of the information that will reach all interested applicants.
- Employment opportunities are based on personal merit and fitness. Performance is considered in this regard.
- Priority is given to applicants from all sections of society especially the underrepresented in the workforce. This is where fairness is evident. No one is discriminated simply because he belongs to the underprivileged and the handicapped.
- ABC Concordia Ltd. has lawful exemption (genuine occupational requirements) to be used suitable to meet the special needs of a particular group. People with special needs are those coming from different ethnic and cultural background; gender (especially the gays, lesbians and transgender people), carers, etc. Recruitment agencies of ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. know the requirements not to discriminate. Fair and equal treatment should always be borne in mind.
- There is a wholesome working environment respecting the employee’s beliefs and diverse background.
- Terms and conditions of service for employees comply with anti-discrimination legislation.
- The organization identifies the diverse training needs of the workers. A plan is made which includes the details of the training to be provided, who will be trained, and when the training will be provided. Those identified are informed of this quality and diversity and training plan.
- Acts of unlawful discrimination on any of the forbidden grounds by employees, partners, members, directors will be subjected to disciplinary action.
- Appropriate action is imposed to any person employed who commits unlawful acts of discrimation.
- All complaints will be investigated in accordance with the grievance procedure of the organization.
- ABC Concordia Healthcare Ltd. will monitor and record equal opportunities and information about staff and all employees. These pieces of information will be used exclusively for equal opportunities monitoring and have no bearing on opportunities and benefits.
- The organization will provide equal opportunities to the Human Rights Services Commission as required in relation to personal and clients under the terms of the legislation.
- Operation review of the organization will be conducted twice a year. Remediation will be imposed on non-compliance under the policy to equal opportunities.
THE IMPACT OF PREJUDICE AND DISCRIMINATION ON INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP
1. Prejudice and discrimination are acts of disrespect on the uniqueness of every individual. “Individual differences should be recognized although human beings are similar in many ways.”
2. Prejudice and discrimination may cause stress. “Typical causes of stress are: new work procedures, work overload, differences between the organization and employees values, frustration and role ambiguity. Workers are likely to suffer mental and physical symptoms as a result of pressure.”
3. Prejudice and discrimination hampers the individual’s desire to grow and to achieve his goal. If an individual is constantly discriminated, he loses his self-confidence. Thus, he can’t perform his task well.
When prejudice is felt in an organization like a Healthcare Provider, the client would lose his motivations to get well and to become fit again. Nobody encourages him and nobody values his human dignity.
4. Discrimination and prejudice are non-humanitarian actions. This will deprive the act of getting people work together to accomplish desired goals and objectives at minimum cost and maximum profit.”
5. Commitment is obtained through kindness. Hence, organization should be fair and impartial, free from biases in dealing with employees and clients.
6. In Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, belongingness, love, affection and acceptance are among the basic needs of man. When there are discriminations of whatever nature, then there is no love, affection and acceptance.
7. Discrimination and prejudice is against the Civil Rights of people. “Civil rights guarantees fair and equal treatment for all people regardless of race, religion, ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabilities, or personal beliefs.”
On July 2, 1964, Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibiting discrimination based on a person’s race, color, national origin, religious beliefs and sex.
PROPOSED IMPROVEMENTS TO ADDRESS GAPS IN THEIR SYSTEM PROCESS
1. Plan for review and monitoring on the compliance of equality and diversity issues should be prepared Separate from that of the communication and training plan.
2. Team meetings should be done regularly to track and discuss the progress of implementation. A special meeting may be convened also at any time to consider urgent matters.
3. Roles and responsibilities of the persons manning the organization should be clearly specified like:
a. Director/ manager
d. Other support personnel
4. Time scales for planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation should be clarified.
5. Periodic audit on the organization’s financial status is important. This is one component of the overall performance management framework. As an initiative is implemented, the outputs and outcomes are monitored, refined and then evaluated.
6. Policies should be revisited from time to time. Substantial amendments maybe necessary to ensure the stability of the organization.
7. Human resources are important in any organization. Performance assessment should be conducted as basis for planning skill enhancement training and updating.
8. Facilities and other material resources should be equally allocated. Insufficient or outmoded materials may affect the efficacy of attainment of the organization.
9. Facts should be gathered and use them as supporting evidences in order to analyze the programs and services and in turn may serve as guide for proper actions.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this case study and no longer wish to have your work published on the NursingAnswers.net website then please: